Is there a Future for Israel? 1 Peter 2:9-10
Part 1 – Defending Future Israel
1. The Old Testament explicitly teaches the Calling and Election of National Israel
- Genesis 12:1-3 Abraham was called to be the father of a nation
- Genesis 15:1-6 The nation would come through Abraham’s physical seed
2. The Old Testament explicitly teaches the Restoration of the nation Israel.
- Deuteronomy 30:1-6: Israel to be restored after a period of dispersion.
- Jeremiah 30, 31, and 33: New Covenant spiritual and physical blessings
- Ezekiel 36–37 Future salvation and restoration of Israel to its land.
- Isa 49:3-6 The Servant (Jesus Christ) will restore Israel and bring light to the nations.
- Since the Abrahamic (Gen. 12:1-3; 15:18-21) and New Covenants (Jer. 31) are eternal and unconditional covenants, God will fulfill these covenants with Israel.
3. The Old Testament explicitly teaches the preservation of national Israel (see Jer. 31:35-37).
4. The New Testament reaffirms the Old Testament expectation of a salvation and restoration of Israel.
- Matthew 19:28: Apostles to judge the 12 tribes of Israel
- Matthew 23:39: Israel will believe in Jesus
- Acts 1:3-7: Kingdom to be restored to Israel
- Romans 11:26-27: Israel to be saved
5. The New Testament says the Old Testament promises and covenants are still the possession of Israel (see Romans 9:3b-4).
6. God is faithful to Israel because of His promises to the patriarchs of Israel. (Romans 11:28)
7. Israel’s election/calling is irrevocable.
“God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew” (Rom. 11:2).
“for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable” (Rom. 11:29; see also Deut. 7:6-8).
8. New Testament prophecy refers to Israel and events in Israel as being important Revelation 7:4-9: all the tribes of Israel are mentioned and distinguished from the nations in 7:9. (See Matthew 24:15ff.)
- The abomination of desolation is clearly related to the Jewish temple.
- Jesus tells those in Israel what to do in the Tribulation Period.
- Paul refers to a temple in 2 Thessalonians 2:4.
· Michael J. Vlach, Has the Church Replaced Israel?
· Michael J. Vlach, He Will Reign Forever