What is the Gospel?
WHAT IS THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST?
The word gospel simply means good news, and that’s exactly what it is. Good news… you can be saved from your sin, and its ultimate penalty, and truly know the Living God!
If you understand and believe it, the gospel is the best news you’ll ever hear. It’s this good news that gives you the ability to find, to know, and to love God, not to mention escaping your bondage to sin, and the ultimate penalty of that sin: eternal death and separation from God.
It is based on nothing you can do, but completely on the life and work of Jesus Christ. That’s why it’s called news, and not advice. The following are the essential points of this good news that God graciously gives us in the Bible:
- God created and owns everything, including you – Genesis 1:1, Psalm 24:1.
- God is perfectly holy – Matthew 5:48.
- God requires your perfect obedience to His law – James 2:10.
- You’ve broken God’s law – Romans 3:10; 23.
- You’ll pay the eternal penalty for your sin – Romans 6:23.
- You can’t save yourself by your good works – Titus 3:5.
- Christ came to earth as both God and sinless man – Colossians 2:9.
- Christ demonstrated His love by dying on the cross to pay sin’s penalty – Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21.
- Christ rose from the grave and is alive today – 1 Corinthians 15:4.
- You must repent of all that dishonors God – Isaiah 55:7; Luke 9:23.
- You must believe in Christ as Lord and Savior, and be willing to follow Him – Romans 10:9.
To help you think about the gospel, follow this link to a multimedia presentation of a message from Matthias Media entitled Two Ways to Live. It’s our hope that this presentation answers your questions about God and His claim on your life. Are you a repentant believer in Jesus? Or are you living your own way? Remember, your soul will live forever. Are you ready for eternity?